If like me you have ignored the cries of frustration from others about how Windows 8 or 8.1 have stolen the Start Menu then fear not as there are several solutions kindly provided by great people. Below are a couple of links that are by no means exhaustive but will give you an idea of how to claw your functionality back. If you choose to install any third party softare, please ensure you read the instructions and don’t install anything you don’t want to.
Start Menu 8 – http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php
Classic Shell – http://www.classicshell.net/
The “Run as command” is incredibly useful and can save you logging in as a different user.
Open cmd.exe and type the following
- runas /user:<localmachinename>\administrator cmd
or if on a domain
- runas /user:<DomainName>\<AdministratorAccountName> cmd
cmd is not required, it can be exchanged for your desired program.
In the event that the taskbar appears to have disappeared, the following should resolve the issue;
- Run cmd.exe, its located at C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
- Type Start wmic (i sadly can’t seem to find wmic location, thats why i do it like this, but its the only command prompt capable of fixing this problem)
- In Wmic, type this exact sentence: Process where name=”explorer.exe” call terminate
- When it asks if you want to execute it, type Y and hit enter.
- Normally, explorer.exe should automatically be re-started and the bar will appear again, should this not happen type this sentence: process call create “explorer.exe”
- When it asks if you want to execute, type Y and hit enter.